Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Personal Email to Trump Supporting Friend

 A picture containing text, indoor, floor, hospital room

Description automatically generated

One Cedars Sinai COVID Station at the Peak of Infection

Hi [X] - I just spent 4/5 days at Cedars. Not many real rooms anymore to accommodate the dumb [expletive deleted] who didn't get vaccinated and won't wear masks. They needed to increase the number of beds, particularly ones that could accommodate a ventilator. I had extensive pulmonary embolism, which could have killed me in a minute. The ER waiting room, where my doctor insisted I go immediately, with lots of possible COVID patients was packed... 6 hours to get a doctor to send me to a CT scan... and hour later I was in a bed in a storage room on an emergency IV.


My ultimate assigned room? I was later placed into was simply a curtained partitioned area that shared two toilets/sinks for 32 “rooms.” No TV. The only shower was one floor up with cold water only. 


Nurses are angry that they have to put their lives at risk for dumb [expletive deleted], many of whom are dying, because of some misguided, self-righteous anti-mask, anti-vax reason.  These dedicated nurses and doctors are exhausted and furious.  Rightly so. And Cedars has the best; it was worth the inconvenience to have such excellent and caring individuals working to bring me back. They cared about me.


But God help those folks, vaccinated, who have heart attacks, car accidents, cancer, pulmonary embolism, strokes, etc. I couldn't sleep for most of my stay. Curtains did not block light or sound. 

Doctors and nurses were spectacular, giving their all. 


But tell me why taxpayers should support idiots who inflicted avoidable COVID infections on themselves. Maybe even spread the disease. Let those idiots pick up the tab.


Just hope you do not need an ER or hospitalization anytime soon. And California has it relatively under control. Think of the suffering in those red states with callous governors and indifferent Trump populist legislatures (I cannot call them “Republican”). Do you want to take a huge personal risk because of unvaccinated unmasked [expletive deleted]? Why did I have to take a big risk, even facing death, for normal healthcare?


I'm more pissed than ever at these idiots who put me at risk for wrong-headed actions. Let the mass of red state opponents of mandatory masks and vaccines bear the financial and human cost they have unnecessarily created. Not just the cost of their own care, even if “final,” but for all the lost jobs, families losing a key loving member or breadwinner and all the people they passed the virus to or convinced not to use a mask or get vaccinated. When are they going to take responsibility for all the damage and suffering they created?


Just think, if Greg Abbott, Ron DeSantis, Doug Ducey, etc. were held financially responsible for their endangerment of their own constituencies, they would never earn another dime for the rest of their lives.


I wish you the best, and I was honored to have been attended by some of the finest people I have ever met. Why do they have to bear the brunt of arrogant selfish stupidity. Is narcissism more contagious than the Delta variant? Oddly, my friend wrote back and agreed with me.


I’m Peter Dekom, and I just got discharged today from a wonderful hospital forced by selfish misguided idiots to put every patient and every staff member at unnecessary risk… wondering how you might feel about this reality?

No comments: